Monday, April 28, 2014

Felix Holt

I have just read Felix Holt: The Radical by George Eliot. I had not read any of her novels before. I chose this one because it is free on Kindle, whereas you have to pay a few dollars for some of her better known titles. I noted that one reviewer said it was her best novel. I cannot comment on that, but the others must be really good if they are better than this one.

Eliot describes and election in England just after the 1932 Reform Act was passed. I remember studying that period during school history. She really brings the election event to life.

The book tells the story of a woman who dreamt of a life of privilege, but once she got it, found it was empty. It describes two men who wanted to change the world. One, who was born in privilege, assumed that he knew what the world needed, but discovered that he did not know who he was. The other chose to serve the poor and suffering. He found peace, love and blessing.

This book points to the Kingdom of God.

George Eliot writes really well. Here is one little example.

Mr Johnson’s character was not much more exceptional than his double chin.

No comments: