Thursday, December 16, 2010

God is our Refuge

God really looked after us while we were in Israel.

We arrived in Jerusalem at about 10pm. The nesher taxi dropped us in a dark street up the hill from the hostel where we were going to stay. When we walked down the hill, we found that the gate was locked and we could not rouse anyone. When I phoned my contact, his phone was switched off and my calls went straight to voicemail.

We were standing in the dark street wondering what to do, when a young man approached asking us if we needed help. It turned out that he was a volunteer at the hostel. He had gone out for a walk, but because it was colder than he expected, he had returned early to get a jacket. He had a key and was able to let us in and help us find out beds. I told him that he was our rescuing angel. About half an hour after we got to bed, we got a txt from a blog reader, whom I did not know, saying that they had been praying for us. I was encouraged, as their prayers had already been answered when I received the text. Perfect timing.

We had flown to Israel via Seoul in South Korea. We were intrigued to read that North Korea had shelled a South Korean island, about the time we flew out of Seoul. We had not realised it at the time, but we needed God’s protection then too.

A couple of days later, when we were walking back to our hostel late at night with a group of people, my wife tripped on a step. I saw her fall head first down the steps, but could not catch her. I was amazed when she got up unhurt. That night we got another text from our friends saying that they were praying for us. The next day she did not even have a bruise, so I presume that an angel must have protected her from hitting the ground.

We travelled through Megiddo on the day when the fires took hold near Mount Carmel, but we did not see anything. So God kept us safe a third time, when we were close to danger.

No comments: