Sunday, August 05, 2007

God's Law (3)

The discovery that the Old Testament contains a complete set of laws raised an important question. Does this legal and economic system still apply in Christian society? I looked to Jesus and found that not one jot or tittle of the law has fallen away.

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Matt 5:17,18
I went to the rest of the New Testament and found that God’s law is holy, spiritual, perfect and good (Rom 7). So I have to conclude that the political, familial, judicial and economic parts of the law still apply today. The foundation of a good society must be adherence to God’s law.

I note that Jesus fulfilled some laws (sacrifices, scavengers and sabbaths), so they no longer need to be applied. Other laws (Leviticus) only applied to the nation of Israel. Working out which is which is a challenging task, but I believe that this can be done with the wisdom of God.

No comments: