Friday, August 03, 2007

God's Law (1)

A couple of people have recently suggested to me that I am an anarchist. I can understand why they might think this, because I am often critical of human governments. However, I am not an anarchist. I am an advocate of God’s law.
I start with the position that God’s law is holy, spiritual and good. I believe that God’s law is the best law.


I am opposed to human laws, because all human political efforts will be inferior in comparison to God’s law. I am especially opposed to human laws when they are dreamt up by Christians, who want to force non-Christians live by Christian principles. I really worry about Christians, who think that their political system can produce better laws than God.

I take seriously the command in the Psalms that we should love God’s law.

Oh, how I love your law!
I meditate on it all day long.
Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for they are ever with me.
I have more insight than all my teachers,
for I meditate on your statutes.
Psalm 119:97-99

These verses refer to God's law. They are not referring to the bible, as we often pretend.

I believe that loving God’s law is the key to wisdom on social issues.One reason that we struggle to deal with political and social issues is that most Christians hate God law, but love political laws. Most Christians have far more faith in human laws, than they have in God’s law when it comes to reordering society and restraining evil.

No comments: