Monday, January 08, 2007

New Year Predictions

Many Christians make predictions or set out their expectations for the new year. I have never the point in doing this, because I do not think God manages history on a year-by-year basis. He works in terms of seasons and epochs, and the next epochal event is some way away. Nothing happened in heaven when 2006 clicked over to 2007, so we should not expect anything different on earth.

The truth is that God has already given us all the we need: the cross, the gospel, the scriptures, the Holy Spirit. I suspect that what will happen in 2007 depends much more on on how serious we are in taking hold of what God has already given us and doing what he has called us to do. So 2007 lies in our hands.

I am certain that God wants to do amazing this year, just as he has wanted to do in every year for the last two thousand years. He just needs his people two get in tune with what he is doing.

3 comments:

Steve Scott said...

As if God lived a confined existence within a Gregorian calendar time box.

Gene said...

Steve and Ron,

The "Time Box" isn't about him. It's about us.

I (as you probably know) do engage in this annual exercise. I watch carefully others who do the same. I look for threads and witness. It's amazing how many there are.

Why?

Because we need the Time Box. God doesn't care. He's a NOW God. Everything is to him as NOW.

But, we need to take time to seek God for a period, turn of the year is a good time to do so.

I appreciate those who have the courage to record what God is saying and then going out on the proverbial spiritual limb in saying what God said (which is the essence of Prophecy).

Paul was pretty clear to be careful not do despise such things. 1 Thess 5:19-21.

You don't have to read them. You don't have to give one.

If you believe in the 5 fold offices of ministry and the essential places they play in the Church of Jesus, you must allow for this. Of course there are other times when I get something for someone. It's nearly always encouragement.

I have been verbally stoned for all this. On the other hand if I keep silent I'll lose the gift. God only uses obedience.

So, I'll prophesy.

The testimony of Jesus IS the Spirit of Prophecy.

Ron McK said...

Gene
I believe in Prophecy
too and certainly do not despise it. The church really needs a clear call in these times. If the Holy Spirit leads you to wait on him, good on you. I just believe that we need to walk in his timetable, not a human one.
Ron