Thursday, September 07, 2006

Purpose of the Law (12) - What a Great System

God expected the nations to look at Israel’s laws and system of government and say “What a great system! Why don’t we copy it!” Unfortunately, God never even got his own people to say these words. Instead, they looked at the nations with their kings and said, “What a great system. We need a King!”

Now God cannot get Christians to look at his law and say “What wonderful laws!” Most Christians either hate his law, or are totally ignorant of its content. Instead, Christians look at democracy and say “What a great system! We will go with that”.

This should be a wake up call for us. God expects people to look at his law and say “What a great system!”

Oh, how I love your law!
I meditate on it all day long.
Your commands make
me wiser than my enemies,
for they are ever with me.
I have more insight than all my teachers,
for I meditate on your statutes.
I have more understanding than the elders,
for I obey your precepts.
How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
I gain understanding from your precepts;
therefore I hate every wrong path. (Psalm 119:97-104).
We must have missed something. We have not understood the greatness of God’s law. Perhaps it is time to have another look and find out what God was so excited about when he actually came down to earth and gave the law to Moses.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: